- Conduct ELD business electronically whenever possible.
- Encourage use of recycled material and natural inks for all necessary printed material.
- Provide opportunities for virtual participation in ELD meetings and conferences.
- Encourage business partnerships with organizations willing to work with ELD on sustainability.
- Do not use mailing lists that have not been maintained. A mailing list more than 2 years old is usually unreliable.
- Encourage selection of event sites, including hotels, and exhibitors that have sustainable programs and a willingness to work with ELD on creating a sustainable conference
- Encourage selection of event sites in close proximity to one another and to conference facilities to allow for easy commute by public transit, bus or walking
- Support green energy policies by keeping room at reasonable temperatures
- Encourage and enable attendees to share transportation to/from conference and other events
- Investigate availability of sustainable services in cities under considerations
- Encourage attendees to sign a green pledge
Catering & Food
- Encourage food & beverage vendors and caterers to use sustainable materials. Choose special event locations that practice sustainable activities such as green, local food choices, bulk dispensers in some cases, and reusable cutlery and linens.
- Avoid wasteful "box lunches" that many caterers offer. These individual servings create piles of wasteful packaging. Instead, opt for large platters of sandwiches, “finger foods” and salads and provide clearly marked recycling bins at your events.
- Request that beverages, condiments, snacks and other items be provided in bulk instead of individually packaged.
- Request that your caterer take back their platters and lids and reuse.
- Request that your caterer green their operations by recycling as much as possible, composting food scraps, reducing wasteful disposables, use recycle materials and containers, and donating leftovers to food pantries.
- Make a friendly announcement at the beginning of the event, instructing attendees which items are recyclable, which are trash, and what bin each item should go in.
- Encourage attendees to bring their own refillable beverage container.
- Do not provide bottle water during sessions (use reusable pitchers and glasses)
Materials & Handouts
- Encourage use of online conference registration
- Promote conference and events via electronic means
- Encourage use of electronic-only conference programs:
- Do not provide print copy to each attendee
- Provide print copies for reference at key locations throughout event site
- Post online and make accessible via conference computers
- Encourage use of electronic handouts and provide a link to all session handouts
- Provide wireless connectivity to download materials onsite as needed
- Encourage attendees to bring laptop to view materials and facilitate note taking
- Encourage use of recycled material and natural inks for all necessary printed material, including signage, programs, bags and badges
- Create reusable signage (no dates or locations) whenever possible
- Encourage attendees to bring their own tote bags and extras to exchange with others or recycle bags
- Set up a system for making photocopies on demand instead of over-printing materials.
- Encourage use of electronic presentations and distributing handouts electronically to eliminate paper waste.
- Use double-sided copies.